My favorite part of reading a mystery is learning the Big Why behind the murder and cover-up. The reasons can be creative and elaborate. However, the best murder mysteries are those which act as dark metaphors for real life events and experiences.
The construction of a murder mystery always starts with motive: why the murderer killed someone.
Here’s a list of ideas for motives:
- Cover-Up & Hide Criminal Activity
- Destruction of Evidence
- Eliminating someone blocking a real estate deal
- Framing another
- Getting rid of a witness
- Power & Position
- Prevent discovery of a crime
- Protecting another
- Security, protect a position
- Temporary Insanity
- To keep a Secret
- Thrill & Depraved Enjoyment